ICBC offers Basic auto insurance and Optional extended coverages for all B.C. motorists. All drivers in B.C. must have Basic Autoplan. It gives you the minimum coverage you need.
Basic Autoplan coverage includes up to $150,000 for medical expenses and rehabilitation costs, and up to $200,000 for damages claimed by other drivers. Autoplan insurance brochure (PDF)
This is the minmum but all too often, drivers do not discover the importance of having adequate limits in place until after they have an accident. We are all concerned about saving money where we can, but trying to cut corners on your insurance coverage may cost you much more in the long run if you have an accident and are sued by the other party involved.
Thankfully, there are still some good ways to keep costs down; many factors such as your driving record, type of vehicle and vehicle use may provide discounts. As your ICBC Autoplan Broker, we will seek out these discounts because it is our job to make sure you have the best possible protection at the lowest premium available.
Another way for us to ensure that you have the best protection at the lowest premium available is to examine your necessary coverage levels. There are several different levels of coverage that make up an autoplan policy:
- Bodily Injury Liability: Provides coverage to an accident victim in the event of a law suit and is required by the State of British Columbia
- Property Damage Liability: This covers the cost of any damage that your vehicle causes to another person’s property. While this usually refers to the other vehicle involved in an accident, it can also include houses, garages, and anything else that counts as property.
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist: This pays for the damages that result from an accident caused by an uninsured motorist. This also pays for damages which cost more than an underinsured motorist’s coverage can pay for.
- Personal Injury Protection: This offers medical coverage for the policyholder and his or her family in the event of a collision, regardless of fault. It will also provide coverage for pedestrians who are hit by a vehicle. Many options are available to provide funeral expenses and other important coverage's needed when you are hurt and cannot work.
- Collision: Covers damage done to your vehicle when it collides with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive: Covers damage to your vehicle resulting from something other than a collision. Examples for this would be hitting a deer, broken windshields, theft or flood.
- Other Miscellaneous Coverage: This includes Loss of Use, Roadside Plus or Roadstar package.
As independent agents, we will provide you with a free, written analysis of the best coverage at the lowest possible premium.